Conference on Implementing Regulatory Change in the Financial Markets
May 5 – 6, 2011
Thursday, May 5, 2011: Owen School Averbuch Auditorium (8:00am – 5:00pm)
8:00 – 8:45: Continental breakfast
8:45 –9:00: Welcome
- Hans Stoll, Director, Financial Markets Research Center
- Jim Bradford, Dean, Owen School
9:00 – 9:45: Maintaining Housing Finance in a World of Uncertainty. Edward DeMarco, Acting Director of the Federal Housing Finance Agency.
9:45 – 10:45: Regulating Risky Banks. Chair: Brett Sweet, Vice Chancellor for Finance, Vanderbilt
- Mark Flannery, Professor, University of Florida. Maintaining Adequate Bank Capital.
- Wilson Ervin, Managing Director, Credit Suisse. Fixing Too-Big-To-Fail: The Challenge at the Heart of Financial Reform.
10:45 – 11:15: Break
11:15 – 12:15: Making Rules out of Laws. Chair: Margaret Blair, Professor of Law, Vanderbilt
- James Overdahl, EVP, NERA. Implementing Dodd-Frank through the Federal Rule
- Joanne Moffic-Silver, General Counsel of the CBOE. Dodd-Frank Rulemaking for the
- Susan Milligan, Senior VP Government Relations, Options Clearing Corp. Commentary
12:15 – 1:15: Lunch
1:30 – 2:30: Regulation of Derivatives Markets. Chair: Robert Whaley, Professor of Finance, Owen School
- Mike Cahill, President, Options Clearing Corp. Developments in Clearing.
- Pat White, Senior Associate Director, Division of Research and Statistics, Federal
Reserve Board. Overview of U.S. Derivatives Legislation..
- Stefan Mai, Head of Market Policy& European Public Affairs, Deutsche Boerse,Regulatory Changes in Europe.
2:30 – 3:30: Regulatory Issues in Trading Markets. Chair: Rick Kilcollin, Sanborn Kilcollin Partners
- Andrei Kirilenko, Chief Economist, CFTC. The Flash Crash: Regulatory Implications.
- Jonathan Sokobin, Deputy Director, Office of Risk and Financial Innovation, Securities
and Exchange Commission. Regulating High Frequency Trading.
3:30 – 4:00: Break
4:00 – 4:30: Structure of the Financial System and Regulatory Policy.
- Thomas S.Y. Ho, Research Professor of Financial Markets, Owen School
(with Miguel Palacios and Hans R. Stoll). Changing Structure of the Financial System
and Principles of Regulation.
4:30 – 5:00: Wrap-up discussion
Loews Vanderbilt Hotel 6pm Cocktails
Friday, May 6: Owen School Averbuch Auditorium (8:00am – 1:00pm)
8:00 – 9:00: Continental breakfast
9:00 – 10:00: Impact of Regulatory Policy on the Financial Markets. Chair: Jim Cochrane, Senior VP, NYSE, Retired
- John Damgard, President of the Futures Industry Association. Government Regulation of Derivatives Markets: Are we going too far?
- Duke Chapman, Actuarial Holdings and former Chairman of the CBOE. The Changing
Face of Equities Markets: The Role of Regulation.
10:00– 10:30: Break
10:30 – 11:30: Innovations in money management and trading. Chair: Craig Lewis, Professor of
Finance, Owen School.
- Nick Bollen, Professor of Finance, Owen School. Behavior of Hedge Funds.
- Bob Whaley, Professor of Finance, Owen School (with Jacob Sagi). Trading Relative Performance with Alpha Indices.
11:45 – 1:00: Luncheon
2:00 – 4:00: Post conference activities: Tennis or hiking.